Voices for Equality - Identity's Advocacy Program
Welcome to the home of Identity Advocacy Team. Our purpose is to advocate the rights of gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, and transgender individuals for an inclusive community for all.
The Advocacy Program is an ongoing proactive effort to inform Alaskans that the GLBT community plays a valuable role in creating a better environment for all of us. The Identity Advocacy Team is a respected and recognized team who individually and collectively educates the larger Alaskan community to build GLBT equality. The team facilitates broad-based strategies by modeling proactive advocacy and is committed to sustainable participation and visibility.
Through education and partnership, we can develop alliances and understanding to expand our voice in the Alaskan community. We hope you will be interested in joining our efforts. This site is a open forum for discussion of issues as well as a tool to assist in advocacy efforts.
Our Advocacy Program
Steering Committee Members
- 2013-05 - Dock on the Block for USSAnchorage Sailors-Marines
- 2013-02 - Rogers Park Health Fair
- 2012-12 - Alaska Children's Services - Working with LGBTQ youth in residential care
- 2012-10 - East High School - Teen Issues Class
- 2012-10 - Anchorage Community Share Fair - Federal Bldg.
- 2012-08 - Diversity Training for Federal Managers
- 2012-04 - Bilingual-Mulitcultural Education State Conference
- 2012-04 - Convenant House Health Fair
- 2012-04 - Spenard Community Health Fair
- 2012-04 - Anchorage Senior Center Health Fair
- 2012-04 - Stellar High School GLBT Tolerance Class
- 2012-01 - Alaska Civil Rights Resource Fair, UAA
- 2012-01 - Second Annual Alaska Health Summit
- 2011-11 - University Center Community Health Fair
- 2011-10 - UAA Class Women and Social Action
- 2011-09 - Airport Health Fair GLBT Awareness
- 2011-08 - Cross Cutural Communication for Medical Providers
- 2011-07 - Shell Oil Diversity Presentation
- 2011-05 - AMP (young men's group) Long-Term Relationships
- 2011-05 - APU Graduate-level Counseling Class
- 2011-04 - STAR Sexual Assault Child Abuse Awareness
- 2011-04 - Stellar High Gender Identity-Expression Class
- 2011-03 - East High - Teen Issues Class
- 2011-02 - Anchorage Equal Rights Commission - Edie Bailey reappointed
- 2010-12 - East High - Growing Up Gay - 2 sessions Bio and Q&A
- 2010-11 - Anchorage School District (with PFLAG) - Resources for high schools: counselors. nurses, librarians, principals, GSAs
- 2010-10 - Dimond High School Contemporary Problems Class
- 2010-10 - Statewide Nurses' Conference
- 2010-10 - Our Whole Lives (OWLS) Youth Retreat
- 2010-10 - UAA Women and Social Action Class
- 2010-09 - Abused Women's Aid In Crisis-AWAIC Staff Training
- 2010-08 - UAA Residential Life Advisor Training
- 2010-06 - APU Graduate Counseling Class Panel Discussion
- 2010-05 - St. John UMC Welcoming and Reconciling Group
- 2010-04 - Pride Foundation Scholarship Finalist Interviews
- 2010-04 - Bilingual-Mulitcultural Education Conference
- 2010-04 - Anchorage Senior Center Health Fair
- 2010-03 - AK Public Health Nurses Conference
- 2010-02 - East High School - Teen Issues Class
- 2010-01 - Covenant House Panel - working with homeless youth
- 2010-01 - UAA Diveristy Month The Laramie Project & Living as GLBT people
- 2009-12 - East Hight School Teen Issues Class
- 2009-11 - Association of Fundraising Professionals Conference - How to Build an Advocay Team
- 2009-11 - East High School - Teen Issues Class - Presenter, himself a graduate of EHS, discussed his life as a gay man, Q&A.
- 2009-11 - UU-Fellowship-"Our Whole Lives" - GLBT issues & sexuality
- 2009-11 - East High School - Teen issues class - Presenter discussed his life as a gay man followed by Q&A.
- 2009-10 - UAA Social Science Class - 4 presentations on cross cultural sexuality, religion and sexuality and sex and aging.
- 2009-10 - CASA\GAL Conference - Presentation on risk factors for LGBTQ children and youth for Court Appointed Special Advocates and Guardians ad Litem.
- 2009-10 - Alaska Parent & Youth Foundation - Lead-On Youth Conference - How to be a super ally and activist.
- 2009-09 - .Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America - Participated in training for Core Competencies towards building successful and sutainable coalitions.
- 2009-09 - Service High School - Teen Issues Class.
- 2009-08 - Anchorage Convention & Visitors Bureau - Volunteer Orientation - inform their volunteers of the services provided at GLCCA.
- 2009-08 - UAA Residental Advisors - panel presentation on GLBT resources, local groups and networking opportunities available for students.
- 2009-07 - Press Release offering advocacy and educational services to the Anchorage community
- 2009-07 - S.T.A.R. Discussed GLBT and native cultural issues with volunteers at Standing Together Against Rape.
- 2009-06 - Anchorage Assembly - provide testimony in support of a GLBT equal rights bill.
- 2009-04 - Alaska Center for Resouce Families-How to work with LGBTQ youth in state custody/care.
- 2009-03 - ACVB - Join the Anchorage Tourist and Visitiors Bureau and develop a tourist RACK card directing visitors to the community center resources.
- 2009-02 - Anchorage School District - Sent a letter to ASD middle school counselors offering our services, web resources and GLBT Safe Space stickers
- 2009-03 - Univ. of Alaska Anchorage - Women's History Month panel discussion
- 2009-01 - East High School - Teen Issues Class Q&A
- 2009-01 - Colony High School - Met with GSA on GLBT teen issues
- 2008-12 - Eagle River High School Q&A Dignity & Diversity Class
- 2008-12 - Women in Recovery (Stepping Stones) - Panel discussion and Q&A about sexual orientation and sexuality.
- 2008-09 - Unitarian Univeralist Fellowship & Planned Parenthood - Our Whole Lives - Youth Training - Diversity and Sexuality
- 2008-06 - Unitarian Universalist Fellowship - Provided a history of local and national LGBT community activities and issues.
- 2008-06 - Alaska Pacific University - Held a panel discussion about counseling the GLBT community and did a Q&A with master's level counseling students.
- 2008-05 - East High School - With PFLAG, we held a discussion with 25 students in a "Teen Issues" class about GLBT issues.
- 2008-05 - Center for Health Training - Panel discussion on improving counseling skills and service to LGBT clients.
- 2008-04 - Alaska Public Health Nurses Conference - Panel discussion on the availability and safety of health care delivery to LGBT clients.
- 2008-04 - East High School - We addressed the "Teen Issues" class of 18 students to help teens understand GLBT issues.
- 2008-04 - YWCA - Held workforce diversity training.
- 2008-03 - East High School - Helped a class of 25 teens understand GLBT issues during a presentation and Q&A.
- 2008-03 - Providence Family Medicine Center's Noon Didactics Presented information on standards of practice for health care services to the GLBT community, cultural competency, intake and interview language, increased access to care.
2007 Activities (Partial list):
- 2007-09/10 - Participated in Mayor’s Diversity Month Activities including an open house at the GLCCA on “Coming Out Day” and Mayor’s Diversity Dinner
- 2007-09 - Office for Public Advocacy (OPA) - Presentation on communicating to the LGBT community and mentoring for Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA).
- 2007-09 - UAA Student Leadership Workshop – “How to be an ally to GLBT people”.